Sunday, September 3, 2017

Diana Gabaldon's An Echo in the Bone (Outlander Book 7)


This was such a refreshing book to read. Although book 6 (A Breath of Snow and Ashes) was so much better than book 5 (The Fiery Cross), this one was even more satisfying. Where book 6 set up the many branching patterns of dominoes, An Echo in the Bone served to knock many of them down with just a few branches left over to be knocked down in later books.

As always, continue on at your own risk if you have not yet read this book.




Here we are, after the reported "deaths" of Jamie and Claire, with Roger and Brianna and their kiddos safely back in the 20th century. We know now that the residents of Fraser's Ridge are not to be counted on in case of turmoil, with the exception of Bobby Higgins and his new-found family, and with nothing left to lose, our main couple decide to hightail it out of there and head back to Scotland. Of course, in true Gabaldon style, it can't be that simple.

This book serves to introduce us to both sides of the American Revolution. We finally see through the eyes of William Ransom, find out a bit about his life since Jamie was forced out of his life, and follow him as he struggles to balance his loyalty to King and country with the firsthand experience he acquires interacting with "dangerous rebels" and "savages." It is a beautiful thing to witness Jamie's son become so much like him.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing situations from the perspective of Lord John as well. One of my favorite characters, I was happily surprised to see his rise to first-person viewpoint in this book. Although I found some of the narrative involving Lord John would have been more easily understood had I read some of his standalone novels and novellas, his additional voice was still enjoyable.

Very few loose ends were left at the end of this book, though one of our beloved people is left in harm's way. I could have done with less marching, battle, and army camps, but overall I was satisfied with the depth and breadth this novel encompassed. Gabaldon gives us more romance, including renewed heat between Jamie and Claire, enough action to keep things rolling, and some new blood that makes me excited for book 8, and dread the wait for book 9.



  • Series: Book 7 of 8 (so far)
  • Number of pages: 1149 (Mass market paperback edition)
  • Year published: 2009
  • Days to read: 8 days 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Know of a book you think I would like? Disagree with my review? Tell me all about it!